Welcome.

On 6th April 2007 a very small piece of lawn was dug up, and a raised bed was made. It was sown with a few rows of vegetables. Late in 2009 we gained an half an allotment (plot 54B). What happens next??

Saturday, February 20, 2010

More snow... and potatoes

On Thursday there was yet more snow: quite a lot of it, which put pay to the planned day on the allotment for Friday. I've just looked at MetCheck, which gives a loner range forecast, and there looks like little let up for another two or three weeks. This means my planned preparation has gone out of the window.

Meanwhile I have sown a few things in doors:
  • A few more broadbeans, as replacements for those lost since November, in peat pots
  • African Marigolds
  • Hollyhocks
  • A few peas ("Twinkle")
  • Three sorts of pepper (free on the cover of KG Magazine)
  • Cabbage (F1 Tundra)
  • Basil
I might walk round to the plot later, just to see how deep the snow still is. There was a big thaw yesterday, but a deep frost last night.

Here we are, I walked round in 25 minutes and took a series of photos to make a panorama:
allotment panorama


    Click to download a bigger size.

    Whilst there, I found that the seed potato orders had arrived and at the allotment hut, so for £5.00 I now have the following chitting at home (I also have longer arms from carrying them home on foot):
  • Javelin 7lb (Early)
  • Kestrel 3lb (Second Early)
  • Romano 3lb (Main)

No comments:

Latest weather observations.